The Invoicing section displays a list of invoices created for the goods and services provided to your customers. The invoices that have been sent to customers may have the following statuses: Draft, Current, Paid, and Overdue.
Before you can create an invoice, you must add at least one contact. You can add contacts as individuals or as companies.
- Go to Toolbox > Contacts and click “Add contact”.
- Select Individual or Company.
- If Individual, enter your contact’s details. If Company, enter the information for the company and the contact person.
- Optional: Choose the group to which you want to add the contact.
- Optional: Enter a custom account number. Adding a unique account number can help you identify, reference and search for a contact. If you do not enter a custom account number, then a default account number will be automatically generated for the contact.
- Fill out any custom fields.
- Click Add Contact to save the entry.
Add an invoice
Select Invoicing from the navigation menu and click "Add invoice". This is the "Add invoice" or "Create invoice" view. Here you can configure all the information to create, save, and send an invoice.
The invoice number will be automatically generated based on the format number configured in Settings, but users can edit the invoice number as long as it is unique. In this case, the numbering might go out of sequence. If you're adding an invoice from a previous accounting system, use the original invoice number.
Select branch and customer
Select any pre-existing branch from the drop-down.
Select or add the customer you want to invoice. If an existing contact has default information configured in their account, those details will automatically appear in the corresponding fields.
The currency drop-down list shows the currencies available for the selected branch. This is the currency to which the amounts will be converted and displayed on the invoice.
Choose invoice date and due date
- Invoice date - the date the invoice is sent
- Due date - the date that payment should be received for that invoice. If the invoice is not paid by the due date, the invoice status will change to Overdue. The due date is automatically generated based on the invoice date and the default payment term as defined in Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Add line items
Line items reflect the service(s) or product(s) provided to the customer. When adding an invoice, you can select an existing line item or define a new item.
To define a new item:
- Enter an Item name
- Enter an Item description - a description of the service or product provided or a heading to categorize the items below it.
- Unit price in the invoicing currency
- Enter the tax percentage, if applicable
Once you've added a line item, you can edit more details about it:
- Quantity - in units or percentage of the total unit price.
- Service date - the date in which the service/product was provided/delivered. This can be represented by a single day or a date range. Service date can be displayed on or removed from the invoice by going to Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Choose payment method
Select which payment method you want the customer to use and that will appear on the invoice. The payment methods available will reflect the methods chosen for the selected company branch.
Set up installments for this invoice, as well as optional late fees. You can enable and disable installment payments in Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Go to “Attached files” section and drag & drop the file, or click “Choose file” button. All the files attached to an invoice will be included and made available to the customer once an invoice has been sent.
Add notes or comments
Add any notes or comments to the customer on the invoice.
You can add one or more labels when adding an invoice.
Save or send invoice
- Preview & send
- Preview the invoice before sending it and review/edit the email to the customer.
- Send the invoice. This invoice will now be shown as "Current" in the Invoicing list.
- Save as draft
- If you don't want to send the invoice right away, you can save it as a draft and come back to it later.
Add a recurring invoice
Go to Invoicing, expand "Add invoice", and select “Add recurring invoice”. If you do not see this option, make sure you've enabled Recurring Invoices in Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Enter and select the relevant invoice information. For a recurring invoice, you're able to set a start date, end date, and the schedule. You can repeat the invoice by days, weeks, or months.
Once you've saved the invoice as a draft or sent it, it will appear in the Invoices list with (rec) next to the invoice number.
Edit a recurring invoice
Select the invoice from the Invoices list or go to Toolbox > Recurring Invoices and select the customer whose invoice you want to edit.
Delete a recurring invoice
Select the invoice from the Invoices list or go to Toolbox > Recurring Invoices and select the customer whose invoice you want to delete. Select Delete from "more actions".