If there's an invoice you send regularly, you can create and save a recurring invoice template that will automatically send based on the custom template. The templates can be edited, printed, and deleted.
The main table will display the following information: customer name, starting date, the repeating time interval, and sales amount.
Add recurring invoice template
Enable Recurring Invoices for your account
- Go to Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
- Set the “Recurring invoices” toggle button to "Yes" and save.
Add recurring invoice
- From Invoicing: Go to Invoicing. Expand "Add invoice" and select “Add recurring invoice”. The invoice will appear in the Invoices list with (rec) next to the invoice number.
- From Toolbox: Go to Toolbox > Recurring invoices. Select "Add recurring invoice".
- Each recurring invoice will have an automatically generated invoice number.
Select any pre-existing branch from the drop-down. The bank account associated with this branch will be the one where funds are received for this invoice.
Select recipient type and customer(s)
You can create recurring invoices for an individual customer or for a group of customers. Select the customer or group you want to invoice. If an existing contact has default information configured in their account, those details will automatically appear in the corresponding fields.
If the customer has not been previously saved, a link for “Add customer” will be displayed in the selected field. You can set default information for individual customers or group of customers. When you create a new invoice, the defaults are automatically entered into the fields.
Choose start date and end date
The Start date is the date you want the transactions to begin. It can be the current date or a future date. For recurring invoices with a future start date, they'll be created and sent on that date.
The End date (optional) is the last date that an invoice will be created for this template. If no End date is selected, then the default end date will be "never".
Select when and how frequently this invoice will be sent. You can select a number of days, weeks, or months.
The currency drop-down list shows the currencies available for the selected branch. This is the currency to which the amounts will be converted and displayed on the invoice.
Add line items
Line items reflect the service(s) or product(s) provided to the customer. When adding an invoice, you can select an existing line item or define a new item.
Add the items you're regularly invoicing your customer for, entering the corresponding details: item name, description, service date, location, class, unit price, quantity, discount.
To define a new item, you'll need the following information:
- Item name
- Item description - a description of the service or product provided or a heading to categorize the items below it.
- Unit price, in the invoicing currency
- Tax percentage, if applicable
- One-time charge - these will be included only in the first recurring invoice.
Once you've added a line item, you can edit more details about it:
- Quantity - in units or percentage of the total unit price.
- Service date - the date in which the service/product was provided/delivered. This can be represented by a single day or a date range. Service date can be displayed on or removed from the invoice by going to Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Choose payment method
Select which payment method you want the customer to use and that will appear on the invoice. The payment methods available will reflect the methods associated with the selected company branch.
Set up installments for this invoice, as well as optional late fees. You can enable and disable installment payments in Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Go to the “Attached files” section and drag & drop the file, or select the “Choose file” button. All the files attached to an invoice will be included and made available to the customer once an invoice has been sent. Attachments are only included in the first recurring invoice.
You can include one or more labels when adding an invoice.
Add notes or comments
Add any notes or comments to the customer on the invoice.
Contact custom fields
- Go to Toolbox > Contacts > Contact Custom Fields.
- Add a new field or view/edit an existing field.
- Set the “Show on invoice” toggle button to Yes, and click Save.
Preview and send invoice
Preview & send
- Preview the invoice before sending it and review/edit the email to the customer.
- Send the invoice. This invoice will now be shown as "Current" in the Invoicing list.
Recurring invoices that have been sent will appear as Current invoices within the Invoicing list and the Recurring Invoices toolbox section.
Edit recurring invoice template
- Select the invoice from the Invoicing list or go to Toolbox > Recurring Invoices and select the customer whose invoice you want to edit.
- Select the corresponding template from the list of recurring templates and update the fields. All the fields can be edited.
Delete recurring invoice
- Select the invoice from the Invoicing list or go to Toolbox > Recurring Invoices and select the customer whose invoice you want to delete. Select Delete from "More actions".
- Select the corresponding template from the list of recurring templates and click the delete button.