In the Add Invoice view, you'll be able to configure all the information to create and send an invoice. You can add an invoice from the dashboard, Invoicing, or Contacts.
The invoice number will be automatically generated based on the format number configured in Settings. You can edit this value to be a unique invoice number, but the numbering may go out of sequence. If you're adding an invoice from a previous accounting system, use the original invoice number.
Select branch and customer
Select any pre-existing branch from the drop-down. The bank account associated with this branch will be the one where funds are received for this invoice.
Select or add the customer you want to invoice. If an existing contact has default information configured in their account, those details will automatically appear in the corresponding fields.
The currency drop-down list shows the currencies available for the selected branch. This is the currency to which the amounts will be converted and displayed on the invoice.
Choose invoice date and due date
- Invoice date - the date the invoice is sent
- Due date - the date that payment should be received for that invoice. If the invoice is not paid by the due date, the invoice status will change to Overdue. The due date is automatically generated based on the invoice date and the default payment term as defined in Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Add line items
Line items reflect the service(s) or product(s) provided to the customer. When adding an invoice, you can select an existing line item or define a new item.
To define a new item, you'll need the following information:
- Item name
- Item description - a description of the service or product provided or a heading to categorize the items below it.
- Unit price, in the invoicing currency
- Tax percentage, if applicable
Once you've added a line item, you can edit more details about it:
- Quantity - in units or percentage of the total unit price.
- Service date - the date in which the service/product was provided/delivered. This can be represented by a single day or a date range. Service date can be displayed on or removed from the invoice by going to Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Choose payment method
Select which payment method you want the customer to use and that will appear on the invoice. The payment methods available will reflect the methods associated with the selected company branch.
If selecting "Pay now" as a payment method, then you will be prompted to select a receiving account. The options displayed will be based on the payment configuration for that branch and currency.
Monthly installments and Late fees
Set up installments for this invoice, as well as optional late fees. Default late fees will appear here if applicable. You can enable and disable installment payments and late fees in Profile > Settings > Invoicing Settings.
Go to the “Attached files” section and drag & drop the file, or select the “Choose file” button. All the files attached to an invoice will be included and made available to the customer once an invoice has been sent.
Add notes or comments
Add any notes or comments to the customer on the invoice.
You can include one or more labels when adding an invoice. You can add a new label or select one or more labels from a predefined list. You can also filter by Invoice Labels in the Invoices list.
Contact custom fields
- Go to Toolbox > Contacts > Contact Custom Fields.
- Add a new field or view/edit an existing field.
- Set the “Show on invoice” toggle button to Yes, and click Save.
Save as draft or preview and send
- Preview & send
- Preview the invoice before sending it and review/edit the email to the customer.
- Download a PDF of the invoice preview.
- Send the invoice. This invoice will now be shown as "Current" in the Invoicing list.
- Save as draft
- If you don't want to send the invoice right away, you can save it as a draft and come back to it later.